Designer, Coder: Separate roles or one?
~ 29 February 2008 ~
Update: By “Coder” I mean front-end code.
Oblige me, if you will, and allow me to ask you a few questions. It’s related to the Extensible CSS series but also to another topic I’m dealing with.
1) How is your current role defined: Designer, Coder, or both? Freelancer or part of a team?
2) Do you agree with the statement I’ve made on occasion, that those who can code as well as they design will always have an edge over those who do only one? (See #3.) Or do you believe it’s better for designers and coders to specialize in one role?
3) Is it more “productive” — a team can take on more projects, get projects done faster, or however you define productive — to have a single team of designers/coders or one team of each? In which scenario are the resulting user experiences produced “better” (however you define better)?
Feel free to briefly answer any or all of the above questions.
Stock photography, type, and killer tees. Genuinely recommended by Authentic Boredom.
Authentic Boredom is the platitudinous web home of Cameron Moll, designer, author, and speaker. More…
Full-time and freelance job opportunities. Post a job...
A selection of fine reading, available for a limited time only:
- Recent job listings, testimonials, and 100th Kiva loan
- The ISO50 Field Guide to Color Management
- Upgrading the hard drive and memory in a refurbished 13" MacBook Pro
- Inspiring type: Libro di M. Giovambattista Palatino
- Randomness, vol. IX
CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standard Solutions A solid round-up of indispensable CSS design techniques by Andy Budd, Simon Collison, and Cameron Moll.
Mobile Web Design A guide to publishing web content beyond the desktop. Tips, methodology, and resources. Now available.
Letterpress Posters The unassuming beauty of a freshly letterpressed print.
That Wicked Worn Look. Techniques for that worn, aged, distressed look.
Mister Retro Machine Wash Filters Turn the dial to “Instaworn” with these filters.
Blinksale Dive in and enjoy shamelessly easy invoicing from Firewheel Design.
Basecamp My preferred web app for internal and client project collaboration.
HOW Conference Austin, June 24–27. Pentagram, Adobe, P&G, et al.
Web Design World Seattle, July 20–22. Practical sessions on web design.
Stimulate Salt Lake City, September 2009. Entrepreneurship and design conference.