Speaking at HOW Design Conference in June
~ 19 February 2009 ~
I’ve been reading HOW magazine on and off almost since I began my career as a designer 11 years ago. Every issue seems chock full of inspiring design, interviews with other designers I admire, and the like. Most issues land a permanent spot on my bookshelf.
For almost as long as I’ve associated myself with the magazine, I’ve had two wishes. These were never written down on paper. They existed only as an aspiration in the back of mind. The first was to have my work featured in a HOW design annual. The second was to speak at a HOW conference.
I have no idea the stars have aligned so perfectly in my favor, but this year I will fulfill both of those wishes. At the start of this year, one of my letterpress posters was recognized in the 2009 HOW In-House Design Annual.
In June, I will be speaking at the HOW Conference in Austin, Texas for the first time. The event will run from June 24–27 and will be held in the same venue as SXSW, the Austin Convention Center.
Highlights include sessions and speakers such as:
- Print to Web Breakthrough
- The Secret of Project Management for In-House Designers
- Keeping Creative Control with Difficult Clients
- Communicating Up, Down and All Around the Organization
- 10 Things You Didn’t Know Fonts Could Do
- Craft + Activism = Craftivism
- Studio tours (frog design, Olive Interactive Design & Marketing, others) for pre-conference attendees
- DJ Stout (Pentagram), Thomas Phinney (Adobe), Cynthia Rapp (Cartoon Network), Lia Braaten Hager (Proctor & Gamble), and nearly 50 other speakers
I’m incredibly excited. Register by April 1 and save $100. Hope to see you there!
Comments are either closed or disabled for this article.
Authentic Boredom is the platitudinous web home of Cameron Moll, designer, author, and speaker. More…
Full-time and freelance job opportunities. Post a job...
A selection of fine reading, available for a limited time only:
- Recent job listings, testimonials, and 100th Kiva loan
- The ISO50 Field Guide to Color Management
- Upgrading the hard drive and memory in a refurbished 13" MacBook Pro
- Inspiring type: Libro di M. Giovambattista Palatino
- Randomness, vol. IX
CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standard Solutions A solid round-up of indispensable CSS design techniques by Andy Budd, Simon Collison, and Cameron Moll.
Mobile Web Design A guide to publishing web content beyond the desktop. Tips, methodology, and resources. Now available.
Letterpress Posters The unassuming beauty of a freshly letterpressed print.
That Wicked Worn Look. Techniques for that worn, aged, distressed look.
Mister Retro Machine Wash Filters Turn the dial to “Instaworn” with these filters.
Blinksale Dive in and enjoy shamelessly easy invoicing from Firewheel Design.
Basecamp My preferred web app for internal and client project collaboration.
HOW Conference Austin, June 24–27. Pentagram, Adobe, P&G, et al.
Web Design World Seattle, July 20–22. Practical sessions on web design.
Stimulate Salt Lake City, September 2009. Entrepreneurship and design conference.