On drinking one’s own Kool-Aid
~ 12 April 2007 ~
Last week, in need of contractor assistance, I posted a listing on Authentic Jobs and thus began a test to see just how well the site would perform. I’ve heard plenty of second-hand stories of the success companies and individuals have or have not had with their listings, but this was my first direct exposure in the shoes of an “employer”.
The listing title was “Front-end coder familiar with Tabifier”, a fairly specific request for an XHTML/CSS coder with knowledge of Patrick Fitzgerald’s Tabifier script. Surprisingly (or not), the results were pretty good: Within the first 24 hours I received emails from 15 candidates, more than one-third of which seemed qualified for the job. After reviewing qualifications in greater detail, I selected Dale Cruse, who is currently completing the project (carry-over fixes for a client from my days as a freelancer).
Now, it’s fair to say this was a freelance listing, and full-time listings don’t always garner the same number of candidates or quick responses as do freelance. But for most companies that’s okay — they’re coming not for quantity but rather quality. They’ll go to Monster or Craigslist if they need dozens of resumes to sift through. They’ll come to us if they need a few talented, standards-aware designers and developers to consider.
In related news:
New partnerships: We’ve added three new advertising partners and one new listing partner:
- Notcot.org - As an avid consumer of all things notcot, I’m tickled to have ad space on Jean Aw’s daily digest of wicked cool stuff. How she finds so much great stuff on a consistent basis blows me away.
- Smashing Magazine - No doubt you’ve stumbled on an article from Sven Lennartz or Vitaly Friedman sometime in the last few months (if not already a regular reader), as their exhaustive lists of tutorials, best-of, and other tech resources warrant proper attention.
- LogoPond - If you’re seeking influence, or better yet inspiration, or just needing feedback for logo design, LogoPond is the gallery-slash-community for all three activities.
- IconBuffet - Manufacturers of some of the hottest icons on the planet, IconBuffet offers not only stock icons but free icons available for trading among the ever-active IconBuffet Community (which is where you’ll see job listings aggregated).
Arguably, with nearly 20 prestigious listing, advertising, and aggregator partners, Authentic Jobs now provides the most complete exposure of any targeted job board for designers and developers.
Free AJ icons: Speaking of IconBuffet, I recently engaged Firewheel Design (makers of IB) to design a couple icons for the site. The aim was to visually distinguish between full-time and freelance listings. As expected, they kicked out some excellent concepts, and two final icons (desk, laptop) made the cut. You can now see those icons on the site.
And then, only then did Josh and crew gone and done good by creating a set of 11 icons themed around Authentic Jobs and full-time/freelance work. These are now available as a Free Delivery set that you can acquire and trade among the IconBuffet Community (more about that process here).
Stock photography, type, and killer tees. Genuinely recommended by Authentic Boredom.
Authentic Boredom is the platitudinous web home of Cameron Moll, designer, author, and speaker. More…
Full-time and freelance job opportunities. Post a job...
A selection of fine reading, available for a limited time only:
- Recent job listings, testimonials, and 100th Kiva loan
- The ISO50 Field Guide to Color Management
- Upgrading the hard drive and memory in a refurbished 13" MacBook Pro
- Inspiring type: Libro di M. Giovambattista Palatino
- Randomness, vol. IX
CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standard Solutions A solid round-up of indispensable CSS design techniques by Andy Budd, Simon Collison, and Cameron Moll.
Mobile Web Design A guide to publishing web content beyond the desktop. Tips, methodology, and resources. Now available.
Letterpress Posters The unassuming beauty of a freshly letterpressed print.
That Wicked Worn Look. Techniques for that worn, aged, distressed look.
Mister Retro Machine Wash Filters Turn the dial to “Instaworn” with these filters.
Blinksale Dive in and enjoy shamelessly easy invoicing from Firewheel Design.
Basecamp My preferred web app for internal and client project collaboration.
HOW Conference Austin, June 24–27. Pentagram, Adobe, P&G, et al.
Web Design World Seattle, July 20–22. Practical sessions on web design.
Stimulate Salt Lake City, September 2009. Entrepreneurship and design conference.