~ 02 February 2007 ~
The latter half of 2006 had me speaking at least once, sometimes twice, every month except August. It’s been nice to rest the ol’ voice for a good 45 days or so, but that ends next week, which begins a speaking schedule not as rigorous as the previous but a sizable road trip nonetheless. (Time to brush up on my hotel checkout etiquette.)
- “Disciplined Design” Web Directions North, Vancouver, February 7. “Advice for mastering fundamental user interface principles, good vs. great design, communication-centric approaches, and mobile web development.”
- “After the Brief: A Field Guide to Design Inspiration” (with Jason Santa Maria and Rob Weychert). SXSW, Austin, March 10. “What inspiration is, how to find it, and how to maintain it.”
- “Good vs. Great Design” An Event Apart, Boston, March 27. “It’s easy to poke fun at bad design, but it’s far more challenging—and rewarding—to discern differences between good design and great design.”
- “Designing for Communication” @media 2007, San Francisco, May 24. “When interfaces transcend pixel and prose to become conduits of communication rather than self-serving forms of artistic expression, the result is a rewarding user experience. This session hopes to exploit design as communication.”
There’s other stuff on the table but not final enough to mention just yet.
Lastly, if you’re a) female and b) in or around Utah March 7, considering checking out Ladies Who Launch, “a motivational and constructive platform for women to enhance their business and lifestyle.” Erin Olson (whose husband happens to be the drummer for Ryan Shupe & The Rubberband) will serve as host for the Utah branch of this national “incubator” workshop.
Comments are either closed or disabled for this article.
Authentic Boredom is the platitudinous web home of Cameron Moll, designer, author, and speaker. More…
Full-time and freelance job opportunities. Post a job...
A selection of fine reading, available for a limited time only:
- Recent job listings, testimonials, and 100th Kiva loan
- The ISO50 Field Guide to Color Management
- Upgrading the hard drive and memory in a refurbished 13" MacBook Pro
- Inspiring type: Libro di M. Giovambattista Palatino
- Randomness, vol. IX
CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standard Solutions A solid round-up of indispensable CSS design techniques by Andy Budd, Simon Collison, and Cameron Moll.
Mobile Web Design A guide to publishing web content beyond the desktop. Tips, methodology, and resources. Now available.
Letterpress Posters The unassuming beauty of a freshly letterpressed print.
That Wicked Worn Look. Techniques for that worn, aged, distressed look.
Mister Retro Machine Wash Filters Turn the dial to “Instaworn” with these filters.
Blinksale Dive in and enjoy shamelessly easy invoicing from Firewheel Design.
Basecamp My preferred web app for internal and client project collaboration.
HOW Conference Austin, June 24–27. Pentagram, Adobe, P&G, et al.
Web Design World Seattle, July 20–22. Practical sessions on web design.
Stimulate Salt Lake City, September 2009. Entrepreneurship and design conference.